Alfred Thompson Denning.

Somehow or rather, my business law lecturer seems to have a great affection for Lord Denning. There was never a lecture where she didn’t say Lord Denning’s name. According to her, Lord Denning was very popular wit his wit and commanding prose in his judgement.

I’ve tried a few times reading some of Lord Denning’s judgement and seriously I found nothing fascinating about it. Perhaps I am not a law enthusiast, hence, my limited understanding about this man called Lord Denning.

Apparently, according to Wikipedia, Lord Denning took a mathematics degree at Magdalen College, Oxford. He graduated with a first class degree before became a teacher at Winchester College (KYUEM was inspired by Winchester College). After that, he came back to Magdalen College to study law and again graduated with a first class degree. This man must be genius.

I don’t want to go down on his legal career because I think Faisal should know than anyone else about Lord Denning. It is enough for me to know that this man is highly respected within the law community.

Alfred Thompson Denning, Lord Denning of Whitechurch died on March 5th, 1999 at the age of 100 years old.

"No customer in a thousand ever read the conditions [on the back of a parking lot ticket]. If he had stopped to do so, he would have missed the train or the boat.

None of those cases has any application to a ticket, which is issued by an automatic machine. The customer pays his money and gets a ticket. He cannot refuse it. He cannot get his money back. He may protest to the machine, even swear at it; but it will remain unmoved." – Lord Denning in Thornton v Shoe Lane Parking Ltd. [1971]. Quoted from legalhumour.com.

SOURCE: Wikipedia.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"I’ve tried a few times reading some of Lord Denning’s judgement and seriously I found nothing fascinating about it. Perhaps I am not a law enthusiast, hence, my limited understanding about this man called Lord Denning."

How can you not see it? He's very different from the other Law Lords, he's very one of a kind. His judgement was always different from his other colleagues..

*geez.. nak cakap pasal lord denning, sampai biler pon x abes*

haha
Adam Ahmad said…
"Perhaps I am not a law enthusiast"

Duh!

Popular posts from this blog

More on Angkara Cinta

Rise and Fall of a Government

2011 That is Almost Over