Celebrity Big Brother

I am not sure whether many of you know about this, but, I am pretty sure those in the UK will know. There is this show called Celebrity Big Brother, and honestly, I had never watched the show, hence, I know nothing about it except that I know that it exists. Anyway, since last week, I think, the show was hit with a controversy when a couple of people in the show were caught for being racists.

They had been referring to Shilpa Shetty as ‘the Indian’. And making remarks on the fact that she used her hands to eat. Basically, everyone in the UK seems upset about this and the issue is now being debated in the House of Parliament. Some call for the show to be cancelled while some want a harsh warning is given to everyone in the show to avoid giving any kinds of racist comments.

I had never watch it, so, I don’t really know about what was said in the show, other than what I read on the news. But I do think that although the comments made on the show sounded racists, those comments were not really racists on some level. I mean, after reading a few news article about it, I can simply say that those people are more like bullies rather than racists. Furthermore, it only shows that those who made those comments are nothing more than a very snobbish and ignorant people, in Malay we say ‘bodoh sombong’.

Having said that, such comments cannot be excused, and those who made them have to be reprimanded, and I’m not talking about just a slap on the wrist, perhaps more than that. But, to go as far as cancelling the show, that would be too much.

While the British parliament and the public continue to debate on this issue, Channel 4 is smiling happily because the controversy had pushed up the rating of the show more than ever. Now, the phrase ‘there is no news like bad news’ really makes sense.

P.S. Wish me luck for my Accounting and Finance test today!

Comments

Adam Ahmad said…
I'll try to watch this programme. haha. I've been busy watching one tree hill :P

Popular posts from this blog

More on Angkara Cinta

Rise and Fall of a Government

2011 That is Almost Over