Trilingual Swiss

One thing I found interesting when I was in Switzerland was the fact that the Swiss speak three languages. Well, I supposed that fact was not a surprise since Switzerland does not have an official language. Basically, all new born Swiss grew up and learn all three languages – French, German and Italian. Since I did not have a chance to go the Italian part of the country, I could not possibly experiencing Italian experience in Switzerland. At first, I found it impossible to see how one country can speak three languages at the same time, but then, after spending 8 days there, I began to see that the country is actually divided into three (language wise).

My first few days in Switzerland, which I spent in Geneva and Lausanne, I had to familiarize myself with words like ‘Bonjour’ (Hello), ‘Merci’ (Thank You), and ‘Gare’ (Station). And the rest of my trip, I had to familiarize with words like ‘Danke’ (Thank You), and ‘Bahnhoff’ (Station). In case you do not already know, the former is French while the latter is German. Even in the name of the cities in Switzerland, you can really see the influence of the three languages. Cities like Geneva and Lausanne are French while cities like Bern, Interlaken and Zermatt are German and cities like Lugano sounds very much Italian.

Since, I encountered more German than French and Italian, I reckoned the main language must be German but my thought changed after a visit to the Switzerland House of Parliament. I went in for 10-15 minutes and found myself lucky since the parliament was in session. I found it amazing to see how three different speakers who spoke during that time actually read their speeches in three different languages. And I can only assume that everyone in the parliament house understood every word uttered by the speakers. I also found it interesting to note that while most of the people in Switzerland speaks German, they rarely said ‘Danke’ because most of the time they said ‘Merci’. I guess, that’s what you get – assimilation of languages.

While finding this amazing, I wondered what could happen if Malaysians actually learn three languages – Malay, Mandarin and Tamil. I mean, it will be interesting to find out how these will affect interracial relationship. Imagine all Malaysians can speak four languages, plus English, how interesting that will be? Well, it’s just a thought.

“Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about.” – Benjamin Lee Whorf.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More on Angkara Cinta

Rise and Fall of a Government

2011 That is Almost Over