The Day I Met a Mormon

I met a Mormon last week, which will make that my first encounter with a Mormon. Mormon, for those of you who haven’t heard of it, is actually a religion. It is another branch of Christianity in a way that both religions accept Jesus as the son of God. The difference between the two is, Christians believe in Trinity while the Mormons don’t. To be honest, I first came to know about Mormon from South Park.

At first I thought Mormon is more popular in the US, but this friend of mine told me that Mormon is actually a bigger organisation in Europe compared to the US. In his own words, “We are everywhere.” Well, it sounded creepier when he said that to me last week. Ha-ha. He actually pointed out that there is a Mormon church being built in Ashford and the fact that there is also a church in front of Tanaka Business School in London.

He also told me that in as a Mormon, one cannot drink alcohol, one cannot smoke, and one cannot have pre-marital sex. And since he had been a Mormon from the age of 9, he is clean from alcohol, smoke and sex. Now, I find it quite interesting with the fact that this friend of mine can grow up in a society where drinking, smoking and having sex is permissible and yet can refrain himself from doing any of those things. Imagine the level of faith that he has for his religion. And I cannot help to imagine that he can be a very good Muslim if he chooses to revert to Islam.

That brings my thought to some of my Muslim acquaintances who, even though being brought up in a Muslim family and community, still manage to find themselves doing all those things that are clearly forbidden in Islam. I am not trying to sound pious but I am just trying to share my thoughts with all of you.

If you just want to find out more on Mormon, just ‘Google’ Mormon and you’ll find loads of information on them.

P.S. I am not promoting Mormon.

“Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is.” – Mahatma Gandhi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More on Angkara Cinta

Rise and Fall of a Government

2011 That is Almost Over