Stretching It a Bit Too Much?

When companies start to stretch the definition of Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR), that’s when you start to hear things like AirAsia’s latest press statement. According to The Edge, “AirAsia recently upgraded its fleet with the purchase of its firm 150 Airbus A320 plus 50 options as part of its continuous effort towards delivering sustainable value to society via its various corporate social responsibility (CSR) programmes and practices”.

OK, first of all, I have no problem with AirAsia buying A320 because personally I think A320 is a very good airplane. Secondly, I have no problem with them buying 150 airplanes to continue with their world domination plan because as long as it makes perfect business sense to do so, why not?

However, I have problem with the reason why they have chosen the A320. I know that in terms of passenger comfort A320 wins hands down when compared with Boeing 737 but still, that doesn’t mean by choosing A320, the community will get the benefits. Yeah, they can go on and on by saying that the A320 is very fuel efficient, less noisy, hence, the community will get the benefits, but still aren’t they stretching the term CSR a little bit too much?

I don’t know but that’s what I think. I have nothing against AirAsia because I love the company, I like their business model and corporate culture but I do think that the PR department can do better than this.

AirAsia X will commence a 4-times-weekly flight to Gold Coast beginning 2nd of November. Now that we have two low-cost-carriers flying between Malaysia and Australia (AirAsia X and Jetstar), it is interesting to see how this business model will continue to survive in the within the next few years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More on Angkara Cinta

Rise and Fall of a Government

2011 That is Almost Over