Angkara Cinta

I don't typically watch a Malay television series on my own. If I do, it is because my wife or colleagues influenced me to watch them. I don't pay attention too much on Malay television series because I usually pay more attention to the US or the UK television series. More so now, with Netflix, Malay television series just simply fall off my radar.

However, it is a bit different with Angkara Cinta. For your information, the series was originally slated for 70 episodes and they just screened Episode 60 last Friday. And now, the production had decided to extend the series to 90 episodes. I guess the series is a hit now?

Angkara Cinta is a story about two boys (later men) who have the same name, Luqmanul Haqeem Bin Razlan, but lived in two different worlds. As you can probably imagine, one of them was born with a silver spoon and one of them was not. In a very predictable plot, they met and their lives intertwined in ways that none of them could have imagined.

Why do I continue to watch the series? Firstly, I always love movies or television series when the subject of friendship or family takes the center stage. And my one criticism (I actually have two criticisms) on Angkara Cinta is that the producer sells the series as a story of two men who fell in love with the same woman. Personally, I think the series is much much more than that and it is a story about two very close friends who discovered more about themselves each day and dilemmas that they have to face in keeping their friendship intact. And this kept me hooked to watch the series from the first episode to Episode 60.

My second criticism about the series is the lack of research and understanding on how the corporate shareholding structure works. I got very annoyed whenever the storyline went about this particular topic. I guess, it is not unusual for a television series not to get everything right, but, still, a little research would go a long way. Seriously.

So, what do I like about the series? If you want to see the very definition of unconditional love in a television series, it is Haqeem's love towards Luqman. By now, those who watch the show would have known that Luqman and Haqeem are brothers. Haqeem's unconditional love towards Luqman was very pure that it doesn't matter how bad Luqman treats Haqeem throughout the show, Haqeem always puts Luqman's interests first. In whatever he does in the show, you could see that he would always think "what would Luqman thinks or feels?" 

Second is the complexity of the character Luqman itself. This hot-tempered character who, I think is always confused about his life and constantly in dilemmas. You could really see that despite how he treats Haqeem, he truly loves and cares about Haqeem. Yes, he hates Haqeem's guts, but only because he feels betrayed by Haqeem as he was manipulated by his mother and grandmother. I actually love this character the most in the series.

Third, I have to mention that I truly enjoy Hun Haqeem's portrayal of the character Luqman. I have only watched Hun Haqeem in Cari Aku di Syurga and Kampung People (season 1) and I must say that Hun Haqeem is on a whole different level in Angkara Cinta. I especially commend him for his effort in investing in how does he looks throughout the show. Angkara Cinta's timeline spans across Luqman's teenage years to his adult years and you could see the changes in Luqman's hairstyles, dressings, and even body size.

While we are on this topic, I also applaud Nina Juren and Yuna Rahim for also spotting changes to their appearances as the timeline of the series progresses. 

Fourth, I actually hate Indah in the series. Therefore, congratulations to Sharifah Shahora for being able to become the most annoying mother ever. Of course the only reason why Indah is like that is due to her Bipolar Disorder.

I really enjoyed the show and look forward to the next 30 episodes to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More on Angkara Cinta

Rise and Fall of a Government

2011 That is Almost Over