Do People Change?

Do people change? If you ask me, I would say that people never change. There is no such thing as ‘people change’. Why is that so? It is because people just don’t change. Many people would say that they have changed over the last couple of years. Or they would say that their husbands have changed in behaviour. The truth is, I don’t believe in the term ‘people change’. I mean, do you honestly believe that people actually change?

Well, people don’t change, they just change the way they do things and they just change their way of thinking. In other words, if you compare me ten years ago and me now, I am perfectly the same person. The only different things between the two are the way I think and the way I do certain things. I might used to wake up at 7 in the morning ten years ago and now I woke up at 6 in the morning. Have I changed? No. I just change the time I wake up in the morning. If ten years ago I hate Maths so much and now I like them, does that mean I have changed? No. I just change my opinion about Maths. So, if you are thinking of saying things like “I am going to be a new person for this coming New Year,” just forget it because there is no such thing as ‘the new me’. But you can say “I am going to change the way I look at things, like be more positive.”

I am no psychologist but I did learn philosophy. And in philosophical term, people just never change. The just change the way they think and the reason why people change their thinking is that over a certain period, they will gain more knowledge and experience. And that’s why they think differently after so many years.

If someone you knew ten years ago used to be a sensitive person and now appeared to be not so sensitive, just get close to him or her and you will realize that they will still be that same sensitive person. The only reason why they don’t appear to be sensitive now is that after all the experiences he or she had been through, they just change the way they present themselves. What happened is, they just choose not to show their sensitive side and people will be mistaken to think that they have indeed changed.

So why am I writing this? Well, the topic just popped into my mind when I was sitting in front of my laptop this morning. Ciao.

P.S. I had a great field trip to Romney Marsh last Friday and I just bought a new mobile phone.

ImageShack.us"/

Comments

Irzan said…
I think people do change, if not internally, externally.

You're referring to sensitive part. Like some people are actually still sensitive after all these years.

Well how exactly do you prove that?

Being sensitive is a basic character of almost any person. Some people may be more/less sensitive than others.

I do think people change.

The way they think, developing into more mature adult.

Of course you think differently today than the times when you're 16, right?

Back then priorities are just handphones. Nowadays, well, we think more about our future. Career and whatnots...

Just my 5 cent...
Adam Ahmad said…
I suggest you to read 'Si Tenggang Homecoming' by Muhammad Haji Salleh and you will understand what I meant by 'people don't change'.

Popular posts from this blog

More on Angkara Cinta

Rise and Fall of a Government

2011 That is Almost Over